top of page
International Resources

Foreign Educated Applicants: How To Get Licensed

If you received an architecture degree in a foreign country but do not hold a license, you will need to follow the steps below to earn a license in the United States.
Licensure requirements vary by jurisdiction. Use this licensing requirements tool to review the specific requirements for the jurisdiction where you would like to earn a license.
  1. Create an NCARB Record.
  2. Complete an EESA evaluation. This will determine whether your education meets the NCARB Education Standard and identify any deficiencies.
  3. Complete the Architectural Experience Program
  4. Pass the Architect Registration Examination
Please note: Through the Canberra Accord, certain professional degrees in architecture from accredited programs in Australia, Canada, China, Korea, Mexico, and the Commonwealth Association of Architects may qualify for accelerated EESA evaluation processing by the National Architectural Accrediting Board (NAAB). 

Foreign Licensed Applicants: How To Validate Your License

If you currently hold a license to practice architecture in a country outside of the United States, NCARB offers several options for earning a U.S. license:
Mutual Recognition 

If you are a citizen of AustraliaCanadaMexico, or New Zealand, you may be able to pursue architectural licensure in the United States through the appropriate mutual recognition arrangement.
Note: Not all U.S. jurisdictions accept mutual recognition arrangements.
Foreign Architect Path to Certification 

Foreign architects can pursue an NCARB Certificate by completing NCARB’s experience and examination requirements.
The Certificate does not establish your ability to practice architecture in the United States. However, most jurisdictions accept the NCARB Certificate as a means of meeting the requirements for reciprocal licensure. Once you are certified, you can use the credential to earn a license in an individual jurisdiction.
Learn more about the foreign architect path to certification.
Standard Path 

If you do not qualify for either of the above choices, you may apply for a license by meeting the education, experience, and examination requirements of a specific U.S. jurisdiction. You will need to follow the same steps as foreign-educated applicants.
Please note: Licensure requirements vary by jurisdiction. Use the licensing requirements tool to review the specific requirements for the jurisdiction where you would like to earn a license.

What's Next?


Completion of the A.R.E exam is required. At AIA Orlando we offer study sessions prepping you for the ARE exams.

Keep Your License Valid


Continuing education is required for all registered architects who practice in the state of Florida and are members of AIA. The state of Florida requires 24  CEHs, with 22 hours in HSW and 2 hours in Building Code biannually of every odd year. AIA requires 18 LU Hours, with 12 hours in HSW annually, due the end of the calendar year.

bottom of page