Job Title: Specification Writer
Years of Experience: 6
Job Overview: CDM Smith is looking for a full time Specification Writers to be based in our Orlando, Dallas, Chicago, or Phoenix office. CDM Smith is not considering consulting firms for this position.
- Under general direction, writes, edits and coordinates use of basic to highly complex project technical specifications related to the engineering and architecture professions, for design or design-build.
- Develops and coordinates the creation of basic to highly complex project technical specifications in partnership with project managers (PMs) and design engineers.
- Develops, maintains and updates project specifications table of contents (TOC) based on section lists received from each discipline.
- Creates, updates and maintains specification section development responsibility worksheets.
- Incorporates appropriate federal, state and local requirements (including state or federal funding agency checklists, if applicable).
- Leads the quality checking process for the project technical specifications.
- Provides regular updates to each project’s PM and design engineer.
- Reviews the work of and provides direction to junior staff.
- In partnership with other specification writers, Community of Practice (CoP) leaders and discipline leaders, updates and maintains the master specifications library. Recommends updates to specifications library and other related policies and procedures.
- Uploads specifications sections into specifications systems (ex: ProjectWise) Compiles and maintains a complete project manual to be used for duplication and ad hoc reporting.
- Develops specification related training modules in partnership with training staff. Provides specifications related training to staff.
- Performs other duties as required.